Advertisement Writers wanted
Israeli Forces Intercept, Raid Gaza-Bound Global Sumud Flotilla Boats

Israeli Forces Intercept, Raid Gaza-Bound Global Sumud Flotilla Boats

Israeli naval forces have begun intercepting and raiding vessels from the Gaza-bound Global Sumud Flotilla, 250 nautical miles from Gaza in international waters, according to organizers and video footage from the boats.

International Waters (QNN)- Israeli naval forces have begun intercepting and raiding vessels from the Gaza-bound Global Sumud Flotilla, 250 nautical miles from Gaza in international waters, according to organizers and video footage from the boats.

https://x.com/qudsnen/status/2056294290184077558?s=46&t=t_-JFgpXqgMIkVsuBfWELw

“Military vessels are currently intercepting our fleet and IOF forces are boarding the first of our boats in broad daylight,” the flotilla said in a statement on Monday.

https://x.com/gbsumudflotilla/status/2056286380373029332?s=46&t=t_-JFgpXqgMIkVsuBfWELw

https://x.com/thecradlemedia/status/2056281928756543716?s=46&t=t_-JFgpXqgMIkVsuBfWELw

Shortly before the interceptions began, the organizers said in a statement shared on social media on Monday, “250 miles from Gaza, in international waters, Israel is preparing to attack the Global Sumud Flotilla.”

https://x.com/enoughformethx/status/2056274284612296959?s=46&t=t_-JFgpXqgMIkVsuBfWELw

The Global Sumud Flotilla, an international movement heading the mission, said Israeli military personnel boarded several vessels off the coast of Cyprus as the convoy attempted to continue towards the besieged Gaza Strip.

Video footage shared by the organizers showed activists filming as Israeli forces approached and boarded the boats.

More than 50 vessels departed from the Turkish port city of Marmaris last week in what organisers described as the final stage of a journey aimed at challenging Israel’s blockade of the Palestinian enclave.

The interceptions came as the Turkish branch of the flotilla campaign said one of its vessels, the Munki, had come under “attack” and “close harassment” by Israeli military boats.

“The flotilla’s vessel Munki has been attacked by the occupying Israeli forces. We have currently lost contact with the vessel,” Global Sumud Filosu Turkiye said in a statement posted on X earlier on Monday.

Israel’s Yedioth Ahronoth daily reported that the Israeli military had detained activists on board the flotilla’s vessels and was transferring them to a navy ship, and would later transport them to the Israeli port of Ashdod.

About an hour before the reported interceptions, Israel’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs warned the flotilla to abandon its course.

“Change course and turn back immediately,” the ministry said in a statement.

Israeli public broadcaster Kan had earlier reported that ICC-wanted Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was expected to authorise the military to prevent the flotilla from reaching Gaza and to seize vessels attempting to breach the naval blockade.

Israel has maintained a naval blockade on Gaza since 2007. Rights groups and humanitarian organizations have repeatedly criticized the blockade, describing it as collective punishment imposed on Gaza’s population.

The restrictions have tightened over time, particularly following the Israeli genocidal war in Gaza. Numerous attempts have been made to break the blockade since then, including in 2010, when Israeli forces boarded the Mavi Marmara, a Gaza-bound ship, in an attack that ended in ten activists getting killed.

Last year, Global Sumud Flotilla's attempt to break the siege of Gaza was thwarted when Israeli forces intercepted around 40 vessels and abducted more than 450 participants, including Swedish activist Greta Thunberg, before deporting those on board. 

Israel, which now controls access and occupies more than 60 percent of the Gaza Strip, claims it allows humanitarian aid into the territory. 

Palestinians and international aid organizations, however, say Israel continues to restrict and block the entry of much-needed aid to the enclave despite the so-called US-backed ceasefire that included commitments to expand aid flows.

However, Israel has violated the agreement by continuing its deadly attacks, killings, and the blocking of aid.

Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) said recently that living conditions in Gaza remain "catastrophic," pointing to widespread shortages of food, clean water, electricity and healthcare.

“People's needs are massive, yet the Israeli authorities have continued to systematically restrict the entry of humanitarian aid," said Claire San Filippo, MSF's emergency manager.

Israeli forces have killed more than 870 Palestinians since the ceasefire, including over 300 children, women, and the elderly. 

Over 72,700 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli attacks since the war began on October 7, 2023. More than 20,000 children were killed by Israeli forces in Gaza in two years of its genocidal war, according to a Save the Children report in September. 

United Nations human rights chief Volker Turk condemned Israel’s recent violence in the Gaza Strip, saying that “the unrelenting pattern of killings” reflects Israel’s “sweeping impunity”.

“Palestinians are still being killed and injured in what is left of their homes, shelters and tents of displaced families, on the streets, in vehicles, at a medical facility and a classroom,” Turk said.