Occupied Palestine (QNN)- Israeli National Security Adviser Meir Ben-Shabbat met with the head of the Central Elections Committee last Wednesday to prepare him for the possibility of postponing the election due to a military attack on Gaza, reported Israeli Haaretz.
Haaretz quoted involved officials saying that the attorney general was the one who asked the senior adviser to update election board chief, Justice Hanan Melcer, about a possible attack on the besieged enclave.
Haaretz reported earlier Monday that Netanyahu aborted last week plans for an unusual military move in the Gaza Strip, which would likely have had far-reaching implications. Participants in a meeting between Netanyahu and officials were concerned that some of the prime minister’s motives were connected to the election.
Ministers in the security cabinet said on Monday said they had been updated during the week about deliberations regarding a possible action in Gaza, but as far as is known the security cabinet was not convened. Foreign Minister Yisrael Katz told Kan’s Reshet Bet radio that “This report is totally baseless. A complete lie.”
Netanyahu did not respond to this report.