Netanyahu says site chosen for ‘Trump’ settlement in occupied Golan

Occupied Palestine (QNN)- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said a site for a promised new illegal settlement to be named after US President Donald Trump in the occupied Golan Heights has been chosen.

Netanyahu said he will ask the cabinet to approve it once his next government is formed.

Netanyahu pledged such a move last month in appreciation of Trump’s recognition of Israel’s claim of sovereignty over part of the strategic plateau seized from Syria in 1967 and annexed in 1981, a move never recognised by the international community.

“I promised that we would establish a community named after President Trump,” Netanyahu said at the start of the weekly cabinet meeting on Sunday.

“I would like to inform you that we have already selected a site in the Golan Heights where this new community will be established, and we have started the process,” he said.

Trump broke with longstanding international consensus on March 25 when he recognised Israel’s claim of sovereignty over the occupied Golan Heights.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *